Tuesday 10 November 2015

Accidentally Vegan Food

These are a few of our favourite things – whether you’ve recently turned vegan, or you’re just keen that your snacks don’t contain bits of animals, then these are the treats for you!

Most of these will be readily available in most supermarkets, but do make sure you check the ingredients before buying, big companies are well known for suddenly changing their ingredients with no notice.

So without further ado, here’s our Top Ten.

10 Warburtons Crumpets
Other brands of crumpets might well be vegan too – just check the label. Whack ‘em in your toaster, then spread them with whatever joy you choose.


9 Lotus Smooth Caramelised Biscuit Spread
This stuff could go on your crumpets, if you like – it tastes just like those little biscuits you get in a packet when you stay at a hotel, or go to a conference. They taste buttery and smooth, and the spread is also excellent for putting in/spreading on cakes.


8 Skips
Weird that prawn cocktail flavour crisps are vegan, but they are! Made with tapioca, they’re nice and light, and a relatively guilt free snack at that. As someone who has eaten real prawns, these taste nothing like them, so don’t feel too icky.


7 Starburst
How insane is this? As a vegan, you’re taught to avoid all chewy sweets, their chewy nature is what normally marks them out as non-vegan, but not in this case! Chew on.


6 Love Hearts
We love these. We like to put them in our parcels when someone buys something, cause vegan or non vegan, nothing unites us like a good sweet from our childhood.


5 Chipsticks Salt and Vinegar
Another childhood favourite, I especially like crisps that are not crisps – they give me that savoury buzz, without feeling like I’ve consumed half my daily allowance of fat. I also like the super retro packaging.


4 Fox’s Party Rings
I feel like I’m just listing things from my childhood here – even as a grown up, these make a great addition to any buffet table. I especially like to place them around someone’s straw when I’ve made them a nice, sweet cocktail.


3 Oreos
Again – an old favourite. Not really a childhood staple, as they hadn’t come over from America yet, but they definitely got me through many a University hangover.


2 Flying Saucers
I like these partly because they’re so cheap, but also because they’re so easy to eat, one wrong move and the whole bag is gone. Bad/good times indeed.


1 Fry’s Chocolate Cream
I’ve always loved this since I was a wee nipper – it’s my mum’s favourite chocolate bar, so I’ve grown up with it. And, now it’s my favourite kind! The regular one, the minty one or the orangey one – they’re all good, and they’re all vegan! Huzzah!



So, go forth and snack like you’ve never snacked before. xox

No comments:

Post a Comment