Friday 16 October 2015

(gl) assing about with spray paint

We said there'd be a few DIY posts coming up, and we weren't lying!

I've always loved a good spray paint, I like how quickly you can transform something old into something new.

This time I thought I'd try my hand with drinking glasses. Champagne glasses, to be precise! Again, I got all my kit from Rustoleum - they have a pretty wide range of spray paints, including all the finishes I wanted.


I started with some basic champagne glasses. I've seen this same style for the same price in lots of the big supermarkets, including Tesco and Asda. You can also get a nearly identical style from the marketplace in Ikea. You want to be paying 50p-£1 per glass - no more.

The spray paints were another Ebay find - just search for Rustoleum spray paint, and you'll find loads to choose from.

Make sure you're spraying in a well ventilated area, where you aren't going to damage anything you love with overspray. I tend to do all my spray painting in the garden for this very reason. I don't mind if I have a bright pink patch of grass for a while ;-)


The first one I tried was a frosted finish. I think this can was about £8, and it's a good size, with plenty left in- so I was happy about that. I really loved this finish, I tried doing a gradient down the glass, so the stem is only lightly coated, and the base isn't frosted at all. It looks really good, and very professional!


Next up was a glitter finish. This isn't so obvious, as it's totally clear, with silver glitter. You can't see the glitter from a distance, but up close it's really lovely! This wouldn't work if you wanted to make a statement, but it's nice and delicate.


Lastly, I tried their Stained Glass effect. This came in blue, red and green - the red and green would be perfect for making some festive candle holders - I think that's my next project! This blue is amazing, really deep and vibrant. Two coats is all it took, and again, I made a gradient with the spray, so the stem is still clear glass.

I've only tried washing these gently by hand so far - I can't attest to putting them in the dishwasher, so maybe be careful!

Give it a go, and tag us in your upcycling escapades! xox

No comments:

Post a Comment