Tuesday 29 September 2015

Hello, saucy!

Another of our recipe instalments here- this time for mint sauce. I’d never made it before, but we currently have a glut of wild mint growing in our garden, and I wanted to make use of it!

This recipe is really cheap to make – if you’re not as lucky to have mint growing for free, you can buy it fresh, fairly cheaply in the supermarkets. You could try buying a ‘living’ plant (where you have to water it) – that would last you longer and would mean you could make more batches, or even make more mojitos. Alternatively, you can also buy mint by the bunch – one bunch will be enough to make a couple of jars of mint sauce.

This recipe is super easy too – my mum remembers her granddad making mint sauce to this recipe when she was little, so it’s served the test of time!

You will need half a cup of chopped mint leaves, one cup of malt vinegar and some granulated sugar. This is exactly how my great granddad used to make it!

I whizz the mint leaves up in the blender so they’re nice and small. It’s nice to leave some hand chopped though, as it gives a more homemade feel to it.

Simmer the malt vinegar and a couple of tablespoons of sugar on a medium heat. Once bubbles start to form, add the mint leaves, and simmer for around 20 minutes. Keep tasting it towards the end, and add more sugar or even water to taste.

This mint sauce is by far the best I’ve ever tasted – and mum said it was just as she remembered it. One thing to remember though, we’re used to mint sauce being quite thick – when I put it on a roast dinner, it kind of sits on the top in a little blob. This mint sauce is not like that!


It looks more like mint floating in vinegar (which indeed, is what is is), but I swear to you, you won’t look back. I even added some to my gravy, and it was absolutely lovely. This mint sauce will keep for 8-10 months in the fridge.  xox

No comments:

Post a Comment